The Children’s Book Council of Australia (Victorian branch) held their 2014 Claytons Dinner on Tuesday evening at Trinity College, Kew. For those unaware, the Claytons are the predictions from local experts on the CBCA Book of the Year Award Categories. The event takes its name from a non-alcoholic beverage and advertising campaign (1970s-80s) as it is not quite the real thing.
The Older Readers category (Young Adult Fiction), as predicted by our very own Anna Burkey, were as follows:
- Wildlife by Fiona Wood (Pan Macmillan)
- Fairytales for Wilde Girls by Allyse Near (Random House)
- The Sultan’s Eyes by Kelly Gardiner (Harper Collins)
- The Tribe: The Disappearance of Ember Crow by Ambelin Kwaymullina (Walker Books)
- The Whole of My World by Nicole Hayes (Random House)
- Cry Blue Murder by Kim Kane and Marion Roberts (UQP)
- The First Third by Will Kostakis (Penguin)
- Run by Tim Sinclair (Penguin)
- Jump by Sean Williams (Allen and Unwin)
You can find the picks for Younger Readers (Middle Grade), Picture Books and Early Childhood on this Storify of the event.
There are many more of these events across Australia should you like to hear about other knowledgeable bookish types on the best titles of 2013.
- Shortlist Showcase in Canberra took place on 12 March.
- Claytons Evening: Ballarat 19 March
- The Night of the Four Judges in Brisbane: 26 March
- Anticipate, Appreciate, Applaud in Sydney: 8 April
- And the Winner is… in Adelaide: 7 April
- There are no equivalent events we could identify in Tasmania, Western Australia or Northern Territory.
Make sure you check out these events!